Cherry Walnut Bars
I love storing these in the freezer and taking out to eat as an afternoon snack. The
dried tart cherries infuse a bit of holiday for the season ahead!
2 cups raw walnut pieces
1 cup raw white sesame seeds
1 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
4 Tbsp. raw coconut butter
3 Tbsp. agave nectar or dark honey
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line an 8" square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Spread walnut pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, shaking pan
frequently, until walnuts just start to turn golden brown and smell slightly fragrant,
about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside in a bowl, and let stand until cool to
3. Repeat process with sesame seeds, toasting about 10 minutes and watching
carefully so seeds do not burn. Remove from oven and let stand until cool to the touch.
Transfer to a medium bowl.
4. Place walnuts and cherries in a food processor or blender. Process until nuts and
fruit come together, coarsely chopped, to form a sticky ball.
5. Add nut and fruit and mixture to sesame seeds. Add salt, coconut butter, and honey and mix, using hands, until well combined. The mixture should easily stay together when squeezed.
6. Press into prepared baking pan, forming a layer approximately 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour. Cut into squares and serve.