Vegan, Wheat-Free Butternut Squash and Wild Mushroom Lasagna
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, minced
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and coarsely grated
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups mixed sliced wild mushrooms such as chanterelle, shiitake,
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
12 ounces brown rice lasagna noodles
¼ tsp turmeric
1 16 ounce package soft tofu, drained
1 cup soy milk or rice milk
½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
¼ cup minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cook lasagna noodles and turmeric in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain noodles and spread out on a work surface to prevent from sticking together.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, squash, and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper to taste and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Combine tofu, soy milk, and salt to taste in a food processor and process until smooth.
4. Spread a thin layer of tofu mixture over the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
5. Add a layer of noodles and top with half of the squash mixture. Sprinkle with half of the pecans.
6. Repeat the layering with the remaining squash, noodles, and tofu. Top with the vegan cheese and remaining pecans.
7. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. 8. Let rest for 5 minutes and then garnish with parsley and serve.