Indonesian Tempeh-Kale Stew
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 12-ounce package tempeh, poached and cubed
3 shallots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 cup water
1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups fresh kale, chopped
1 Tbsp soy sauce or Bragg’s
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 tsp lime zest
1. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, jalapeno, and ginger. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add sweet potato, kale, water, tomatoes, and tamari. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Uncover and reduce heat to low. Add coconut milk, salt an pepper to taste, and tempeh.
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro and lime zest. Serve hot.