Roasted Tomato and Paprika Soup
5 tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and
3 yellow onions, quartered
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
extra-virgin olive oil, for coating
5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
3 cups vegetable stock or water
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and position 2 racks in the
middle of the oven.
2. Rub 2 rimmed baking sheets with a thin glaze of olive oil. Arrange
the tomatoes, skin side down, on a baking sheet. Coat the bell
pepper and onions with olive oil and put them on the other baking
sheet along with the garlic; place the peppers skin side down as well.
3. Give both sheets a light showering of salt and pepper, then bake
until the tomatoes start to collapse and onions start to brown and
caramelize, about 45 minutes. Turn the onions if they start getting too dark on the bottom.
4. Peel the garlic, dump all the roasted vegetables into a big bowl, and puree with a hand blender.
5. Blend in the stock and paprika and adjust the seasoning to taste.