Quinoa Barley Pilaf with Kale, Carrot, Pine Nuts and Lemon Zest
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1/3 cup barley (organic)
1 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 ½ cups veggie stock
1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped super fine
1 large carrot grated
¼ cup pine nuts
Zest of ½ lemon
Pinch of sea salt
Pepper to taste
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and toast
quinoa and barley for 10-15 min, stirring
2. While quinoa is toasting, heat oil in a medium
saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions in the saucepan until they're tender, and then add garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Stir toasted quinoa and barley into onions and then add remaining ingredients except for pine nuts.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and
simmer for 20 min. If water remains in the pot,
remove cover and cook on high for a few minutes, until water evaporates.
5. While quinoa is cooking, toast the pine nuts in the skillet over medium heat, shaking frequently, for 5 min or until they are light brown and fragrant.
6. Stir nuts into quinoa & barley.
7. Stir in zest of ½ lemon to finish.