Nettle Soup with Asparagus
Serve a taste of spring with this savory and delicious nettle soup! Perfect for
a Sunday brunch or a cozy evening meal, this recipe is the synergistic
combination of two favourite spring plants.
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
7 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bunch of asparagus (approximately 300 grams),
cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (13.5 ounce) can of coconut milk
5 cups broth (bone broth, veg broth or water)
150 grams of young fresh nettle leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
More salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Dash of cream (optional)
Handful of mushrooms (morels, shiitakes, chanterelles, buttons, etc.), minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1. In a large saucepan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add two more tablespoons of olive oil, wait a few moments for it to warm up. Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin powder, black pepper and salt. Sauté for one minute or until aromatic.
2. Add the asparagus and cook for 3-5 minutes or until it becomes bright green in color. 3 Add the coconut milk and broth (or water) and bring to a boil.
3. Add the fresh nettle leaves. Stir well. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the asparagus is fairly soft.
4. Optional mushroom topping: While the soup is cooking you can make the optional mushroom topping. Heat the butter in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the minced mushrooms and cook until thoroughly done and tender. Set aside.
5. Once the asparagus is soft, turn off the heat on the soup. Add the lemon juice.
6. Using an immersion blender (or an upright blender) blend on high until thoroughly creamed. (If using an upright blender be sure to allow steam to escape while blending to avoid a big hot mess.)
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls with a dash of cream (optional) and a couple spoonfuls of mushrooms (optional).