Liver Loving Borscht
Carol Morley, ND
Can’t “Beet” a borscht soup to keep healthy and warm during the colder months.
2 stalks of celery
1 yellow cooking onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 beets, medium sized
4 cups of water
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh dill & parsley
1 russet potato (optional)
1. Scrub the beets and chop off both the ends. Do not peel, bring to a boil then simmer for 45 minutes. Scoop out the beets and peel but be sure to save your beet water.
2. Clean the carrots, celery and onion, chop them into a sauté pan. Cook vegetables in olive oil and garlic until fragrant. In a separate small sauce pan place your porcini mushrooms in your warmed chicken stock and soak for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove mushrooms from stock, chop, then add to your vegetable sauté.
4. Shred beets then add into your sauté pan with the stock and beet water.
5. Add in the can of diced tomatoes and if the soup seems a bit too watery you can always add in a shredded russet potato to thicken.
6. Top with fresh dill and parsley before serving.