Kale and Walnut Salad
2 bunches of kale, washed, stems removed and torn into bite sized pieces
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsps organic maple syrup (try for B or C grades as they contain more minerals)
a splash of apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups walnuts
a pinch or two of unrefined sea salt
1. While kale is still wet from being washed place in a hot pan with a lid for about 30 seconds (pan needs to be quite hot before putting kale in). This process will steam the kale with the water still on the leaves. 2. Turn kale with tongs once while it cooks.
3. After 30 seconds, remove kale to a bowl of cold water (use ice if you have it) to immediately halt the cooking process. Stir and let sit for 1 minute.
4. Squeeze kale lightly in your hands to remove the excess water or use a salad spinner.
5. Loosen leaves and place in a large bowl.
6. In a smaller bowl, combine dijon, vinegar, maple syrup and salt. Using a whisk, add the olive oil slowly in a thin stream while whisking contents vigorously. The dressing should thicken up as you pour. Set aside.
7. Place walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven or a toaster oven on 325°F for 7 minutes or until golden on the inside. Allow to cool. Chop nuts into small pieces and sprinkle over kale.
8. Pour dressing over kale and toss well. Enjoy.