Crunchy Brown Rice with Pears
1 cup brown basmati rice
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, quartered
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
2 pears, peeled and diced
½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 green onions, finely sliced
1. In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent.
3. Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
4. Add rice and stir to coat.
5. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
6. When rice is tender, remove from heat and add thyme, celery, pears and toasted walnuts.
7. Cover and let stand another 5 minutes
8. Add salt and pepper and garnish with green onions.