Chickpeas with Leeks and Lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, bruised but whole
1 6-inch branch fresh rosemary, broken in two
4 leeks, cleaned, trimmed and with the white and light green parts sliced in 1/4-inch
2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, garlic and rosemary over medium heat. Once the
garlic turns fragrant and the rosemary begins to sizzle, remove the rosemary but reserve
2. Add the leeks to the pan, along with a good pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the leeks are soft and
sweet but still brightly green, around 5 minutes.
3. Mix in the chickpeas, and continue to cook for a 5 minutes more, at which point the chickpeas should have
darkened slightly in colour.
4. Using a zester, add a few scrapes of lemon zest to the pan, along with a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir gently
5. Check for seasoning, adding more juice, zest or salt as needed. Return the reserved rosemary sprigs to the
pan, and enjoy warm or at room temperature.