Basic Beef Stew
1 lb beef chuck, cubed
2 Tbl coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl tomato paste
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
3-4 carrots, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
1 heaping cup green beans, snipped and cut into
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into ½”
2 cups homemade beef stock
1 Tbl arrowroot powder (grain free thickener)
2 tsp cold water
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat tallow in a large cast iron dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef; sauté until browned.
2. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Add onions and sauté for about 4 minutes; add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
3. Return beef and any juices to pot; stir in tomato paste, then add broth and enough water to just cover. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 ½ hours.
4. Add carrots, mushrooms, potatoes and green beans. Cover partially; simmer about 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove the lid and allow to thicken slightly.
5. In a small bowl, mix arrowroot and water and stir into stew. Increase heat and bring to a slight boil for 1 minute. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.