Baked NOT Fried Falafel
Alexis Nilsen, Holistic Nutritionist
Coming up with back to school lunches can be tough, but these
falafel are a sure fire way to not only satisfy your kids taste buds and
the bonus, you can feel good about sending them to school with a
1 can chickpeas (BPA free) drained and rinsed
1 small red onion
1 handful Italian parsley
1 handful cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional if you like it spicy)
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp. chickpea flour can also use brown rice of GF all purpose
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400 and then lightly grease a baking sheet
lined with parchment paper with a little bit of grapeseed oil.
2. Then in a food processor, and I do this part in step, blend up your
parsley, cilantro and garlic then into a large bowl.
3. Next up toss in your red onion and drained chickpeas then into the
bowl they go.
4. At this point you are done with the food processor and everything
else can just be tossed in and mixed up with a spoon or spatula.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make falafel burgers,
bite size falafels, or one giant chickpea pancake, totally up to you.
5. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.