Warm Spicy Sweet Potato Salad
This recipe includes adzuki beans, which are small, reddish-brown beans that have a sweet and nutty flavour, are a great source of folate and iron, and can be found in most bulk stores. Black beans can be substituted for adzuki beans if necessary. One 15-ounce (425 g) can is equivalent to 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of cooked beans, which is 2/3 cup (160 mL) of dried beans.
• 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
• 1 small red onion, diced
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) plus 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup loosely packed, chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 (15-ounce / 500 g) can adzuki beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
• 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
• Juice of 1 lime
• 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. Place the sweet potatoes and onion on a baking sheet and drizzle with the 1 tablespoon (15mL) of olive oil to coat. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
3. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, toss the cilantro, beans, and bell pepper in a small bowl.
4. To make the dressing, combine the garlic, jalapeño pepper, lime, salt, and pepper in a small food chopper or processor. Process for 10 seconds, and then add the cup (60 mL) of olive oil and continue to process for another minute.
5. Toss the roasted sweet potatoes and onion with the bean mixture and pour the dressing over top. Combine to thoroughly coat and serve warm.