heading_title

The History Of Osteopathy

Andrew Taylor Still first developed the practice of osteopathy in the 1870’s when an epidemic of viral meningitis spread through the state of Missouri. Through ten years of his own research, Dr. Still discovered and developed ways to manipulate tissue and restore function to dysfunctional tissue in order to restore normal physiology. In the 19th century Dr. Still had great success treating with his new methods, however he also encountered some resistance from both the medical community and the public.

In Still’s studies he noted that the body had an innate ability to heal itself once all restrictions and constrictions had been removed. He studied the anatomy of the body in exceptional detail, knowing that it was through this understanding of the structures that he would fully understand their functions, and thus he could determine the true cause of his patient’s disease/dysfunction. As his skills evolved Still’s reputation grew, and so did the number of individuals crossing great distances to see him.

In 1892 Still founded the American School of Osteopathy in Kirksville, Missourri. Osteopaths from all over the world traveled to Missouri to study under Still. Flash forward to 1981, when Phillipe Druelle, an osteopathic practitioner from France, founded the College D’Etudes Osteopathique (CEO) in Montreal, Quebec. Ten years later the Canadian College of Osteopathy, a sister school, was established in Toronto, Ontario.